Being in the medical industry is very time-consuming and not the normal 9-5 role. Health professional in particular are infamous for being consumed by their work and their personal lives tend to take a back seat. Touch Surgery is helping to empower and connect the global surgical community and, therefore, feel we are doing our bit to make the medical world a little more efficient. However, we still believe there are more ways to optimizing your performance allowing for a better all round life. Here are some products and tips we suggest for hacking into a better life:
disclaimer: Touch surgery has NO affiliation with any brands mentioned in this post. Simply a fan who is recommending products to help out our community.
Productivity Hacks for building a Digital Health Company:
- Learn how to say ‘No’– James Altucher’s book “The Power of NO” depicts this theory brilliantly. For most people saying no is difficult but if you want to elevate your productivity game it’s necessary. Say no and make time for later.
- Listen to music- Music is a good way to block everything out and focus. During my time in LA I was at a METal event ran by Ken Rutkowski of Business Rockstar Radio and I met a fellow Brit, Will Henshall the Founder of Focus at Will, a former songwriter who has designed music that scientifically optimizes your concentration. In other words, this music stuff works.
- Delegate tasks– Only do what you can do where your core strengths lie. If you’re the person who gets delegated the task then prioritisation is key. Start by avoiding any meetings that aren’t absolutely necessary to be in. You will see a big improvement in the quality of your work.
- A/B Test your body– Some people work better at night, some in the morning. Try doing certain tasks at night then try them in the morning. You will see what works best for you and adapt your schedule around that. Your body has a natural rhythm so don’t fight it.
- Exercise– Get your exercise in, you are never too busy for exercise. By exercising you get a natural energy boost and stress relief. We recommend exercising in the morning to free your mind of that task and focus on being productive at work.
- Turn off notifications– When you have exercised, prioritised your work, delegated tasks and said no a bunch of times the last thing you need is to be distracted by your phone constantly pinging. Turn it off and focus on the tasks that lie ahead.
Lumosity, now at an amazing 70 million users, the brain training game designed by NeuroScientists. Lumosity is based on research in the field of neuroplasticity. There R&D team works with researchers from several of the United States top universities to learn as much as possible about Lumosity training. You train you muscles in the gym now it’s time to train your brain and build your mental stamina.
The famous ‘7 minute workout’ we arent saying that by just doing this every day you will have fitness model abs but getting in exercise is very important for mental success. The 7 minute workout have a great understanding that part of the reason for not going to the gym, is not knowing what to do at the gym. This great program tells you what to do and is easy to fit in around your busy day at the surgery.
Time management is essential in the medical world and it’s often easy to forget and let things slip. Atracker is a user friendly app that allows for greater time management so you don’t forget those really important things like your significant other’s birthday. It has a great interface allowing you to see data on where you’re spending the bulk of your time. Taking work out of the equation, you are able to see how well you are balancing your time.
The green juice fad, whatever your view might be the theory is that getting some greens into your diet is better than zero. We have chosen Aloha as they are a monthly subscription brand who deliver the healthy mix each month to your doorstep. If you are a busy Surgeon this is a great way to make sure your not forgetting your greens during a busy week.
State of mind is everything. having a positive approach to life is one of the key components to success. Happify say their cheerful games and activities are deceptively effective, based off the art of science you can use the app on demand. Start your day with the app and get into the correct state of mind before entering surgery. A Small slices of time can make big-time changes.
For all you romantic medical staff this is a great way to surprise your significant other. The e commerce flower delivery service will email you before a birthday or anniversary to remind you to get those flowers delivered, or simply just surprise her with a Bouq because she deserves it. Or perhaps you want fresh flowers weekly, or monthly. Flowers enhance the mood regardless of the delivery. Well worth considering.
Back to basics but a great habit that’s well worth getting into. The Harvard school of public health says that the humble multivitamin is a great nutrition insurance policy, try mixing with a vitamin D to add an extra boost. The on-the-go multitasking environment of a surgeon does not yield time to fulfill healthy habits. A balanced diet with a multivitamin with help optimize your performance and lead to a happier healthy life.
Yes, the great creation of Dave Asprey. The Bulletproof Diet a New York Times best-selling book on BioHacking has since led to Coffee designed to optimize your mental performance. You make the coffee by adding grass- fed unsalted butter, yes butter, along with MCT Coconut oil. After my initial skepticism, I contacted Dr. Andrew Hill a NeuroScientist at UCLA and he confirmed that the best diet for brain health is a high-fat low sugar diet. This coffee mixed with the fats is an optimal way to start your day.
If you like this post and you’re interested in digital health, you will enjoy reading our post “Can Big Data Save you From a Heart Attack?” .